August 17, 2010

Uni-Ver-Sit-Ee

What I'm Doing: Gazing into the vivid infinity of my Samsung SyncMaster 710N monitor.

212:

Yes, I do listen to classical music.

Researchers believe that by subduing children to classical music at an early age, they will have enhanced spatial reasoning skills. This, they say, is due to the complex structure of classical music (music such as Bach, Beethoven). By now, this isn’t really a new concept. Experiments are conducted daily by ambitious parents hoping to give their two-month-olds a Beethoven boost to the brain.

Classical music, you’d have to admit, is very soothing. It’s smooth and soft at times, but also loud and rambunctious. The flurries of quick piano-key flourishes or rough strokes on bass strings seem to bathe the mind in a fixated curiosity. That curiosity then extends towards a heightened state of awareness, as the veins of violins meet the nerves of the human body.

I find at times I act like a conductor, waving my hands around loosely like I am directing a full orchestra. I have no idea what I am doing, but my hands and arms seem to know… so I allow them to do their thing.

Besides classical music, it is said that bird song is a great and unique method to improve brain function. Something about the vocals of Mother Nature’s planes supposedly string a chord in the body. Maybe it’s like classical music. Instead of waving your arms around, you whistle softly to the call of a lark.

In other news, Google Chrome is faster than lightning. That’s fast.

Haruki Murakami is quoted for stating, “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”

In swim team, we took on this similar phrase as our motto, “Pain is weakness leaving the body.”

What do these two statements say? What do they tell us about pain?

Pain is going to happen no matter what. By allowing pain to leave your body, you are removing weakness and therefore becoming stronger. Because pain is regarded as weakness, this also means that weakness is inevitable. No man or woman is inhumanly built without weakness. It is there and consistently present just as pain is. But it is up to each individual to regard that pain or that weakness as suffering. If one believes a specific pain to be too treacherous, they may say that they are suffering. However, it is always possible that a man or woman may tread through life and live without suffering- as they believe that pain and weakness are merely setbacks to their ultimate goal.

This is my final free week of summer. I start at the University of Arizona next Monday, and I am excited to see what lies in store for me. Because of this, though, there is a good deal of work I have to complete and a large amount of subjects I would like to review before jumping into new classes. On the bright side of things, I am completely moved into my apartment in Tucson. Things are falling in place- albeit awkwardly at times. But they are still coming together, and I don’t mind if it appears as if I wasn’t that great at Tetris.

-TWO-12



No comments:

Post a Comment